Maxims for Dating & Engaged Couples
- Be happily single and fulfilled in Christ before dating anyone.
- Pray together on your dates.
- Be honest with each other.
- Listen when the other person is talking.
- Laugh together.
- Have some dates which include serving and blessing others.
- Agree to save the gift of physical intimacy for marriage.
- Avoid overly sensual, physical contact (contact that stirs up excessive sexual desire).
- Never trust your flesh.
- Never be alone together in an isolated, unaccountable place.
- Value the counsel of both sets of parents without being defensive.
- Give each other space and regularly spend time apart from each other.
- Cultivate healthy friendships with others.
- Be a whole person – exercise regularly, eat healthy foods, get enough sleep, have a healthy & wholesome hobby, unplug and practice silence each day.
- Be quick to forgive and quick to say, “I was wrong – will you forgive me?”
These maxims seem simple, but each one affects the dating relationship in profound (and sometimes hidden) ways. The key is to actually practice each one.